The second edition of the Anniversary Edition series from Gotemba Distillery, a rare distillery in the world where the entire whiskey production process is done in a single distillery under the motto “Clean and Estery” is now available.
This year, in May 2023, a limited edition of 3,000 bottles was released.
Following the “Single Malt Japanese Whiskey Fuji 50th Anniversary Edition” released in May 2023 in a limited edition of 3,000 bottles, this time it will be released as the ” Single Blended Japanese WhiskeyFuji 50th Anniversary Edition”.
The previous limited edition single malt was sold only on the official website DRINX and at the distillery by lottery, but it was so popular that more than 200 people rushed to the distillery on the first day of the release.
Compared to the previous single malt, the price has increased from 21,780 yen (including tax) to 36,080 yen (including tax), which makes us feel that this is a bottle with even higher expectations.
1. About Kirin Distillery Fuji Gotemba Distillery
|Location||970 Shibanta, Gotemba City, Shizuoka Prefecture, 412-0003, Japan|
|Start of operation||November 1973|
- August 1972 Kirin-Seagram Company established as a joint venture between Kirin Brewery Company (Japan), JE Seagram Company (U.S., at the time), and Sievers Brothers (U.K.).
- Nov 1973 Fuji Gotemba Distillery completed and production begins
- February 1974 Domestic whiskey “Robert Brown” is released.
- July 2002 Company name changed to Kirin Distillery Company, Limited (becomes wholly owned subsidiary of Kirin Brewery Company, Limited)
- Sep. 2005 Domestic whiskey “Kirin Whiskey Fuji-Sanroku Barrel Aged 50°” and “Kirin Whiskey Fuji-Sanroku Single Malt 18 Years” are released.
- March 2016 “Kirin Whisky Fuji-Sanroku Blended 18 Years Old” and “Kirin Whisky Fuji-Sanroku Barrel-Aged Original 50°” released
- August 2018: “Fuji-Sanroku Signature Blend” released
- April 2020: Kirin Single Grain Whiskey Fuji is released.
- June 2022: Launches Single Blended Japanese Whiskey Fuji
- May 2023: Launches Single Malt Japanese Whiskey Fuji
Fuji Gotemba Distillery, located at the foot of Mt. Fuji, is one of the few whisky distilleries in the world to handle the entire process from preparation to bottling of malt and grain whiskies.
The distillery produces a wide variety of Kirin Group products, including whisky, mineral water, and canned chuhai, in a natural environment blessed with abundant subterranean water from Fuji, a cool climate, and frequent fog throughout the year.
In February 2019, the company invested approximately 8 billion yen to expand its production facilities in preparation for further increases in whiskey sales volume in the future.
In order to produce a wide variety of malt whisky base whisky, four new small fermentation tanks and two lines of four distillers were installed to approximately double the base whisky production capacity, and the barrel storage capacity was increased by approximately 20% through renewal and enlargement of the barrel aging warehouse. The new facility started operation in June 2021 with the aim of establishing a production system that will ensure a stable supply of high-quality whiskey in the future.
2. Single Blended Japanese Whiskey Fuji 50th Anniversary Edition
This is a special single blended whiskey that incorporates 50 years of whiskey making history and technology.
|Release date||November 21, 2023 (Tuesday)|
|Where to be sold||Fuji Gotemba Distillery kiosks and lottery sales For details on lottery sales|
Kirin online store DRINX ( https://drinx.kirin.co.jp/)
Details will be announced at a later date.
|Capacity / Container||700ml/bottle|
|Alcohol content||Alcohol content: 51%*.|
*Planned for cask strength
|Manufacturing plant||Kirin Distillery Fuji Gotemba Distillery|
|Price (including tax)||36,080 yen *Price at Fuji Gotemba Distillery store and DRINX|
|Planned sales quantity||Limited to 3,000 bottles|
Quote from the official website
3. Previous releases
3-1 Single Malt Japanese Whiskey Fuji
3-2 Single Blended Japanese Whiskey Fuji
3-3 Single Grain Whiskey Fuji
Jota Tanaka, Master Blender at Fuji Gotemba Distillery, was awarded “Master Distiller/Master Blender of the Year” at the Icons of Whisky (IOW) 2017, a world-class competition that has been going on for over 20 years, and the world A superb selection of casks by the finest blenders.
The price is certainly reasonable, but it is not necessarily true that whisky that has been aged for a long time has a peak of maturation, and the longer it is aged, the better the quality.
However, if the whisky is not aged for 50 years but is made from high quality original whisky that has been aged for 50 years, then this price may be considered reasonable or cheap.